New Age books (books on mysticism, Eastern philosophy, channelling, meditation and the like) are hard to categorize and even harder to evaluate. Here, a few notes on one of my absolute recommend-it-to-anyone favorites. (Find more recommendations off to the right under “Best New Age Books.”)
This week’s best New Age book: Conversations with God, Part One by Neale Donald Walsch
This best New Age book’s particular appeal:
Do I dare attempt to summarize the appeal of this book in a single paragraph? I suppose I do. This book bridges the gap between Christianity and New Thought spirituality. Then it burns that bridge.
This best New Age book’s essence:
God speaks to us. We just need to listen. And one day, that is just what Neale Donald Walsch did. The resulting conversation was this book and the others in this series. They speak of grace, love, compassion, truth and, of course, the law of attraction.
A selection of awesome quotes attributed to God in this best New Age book:
- Mine is always your Highest Thought, your Clearest Word, your Grandest Feeling. Anything less is from another source.
- The Highest Thought is always that thought which contains joy. The Clearest Words are those words which contain truth. The Grandest Feeling is that feeling which you call love.
- Listen to your feelings. Listen to your Highest Thoughts. Listen to your experience. Whenever any one of these differ from what you’ve been told by your teachers, or read in your books, forget the words. Words are the least reliable purveyor of Truth.
- In what form or shape would you have Me appear? In the form or shape that you actually have. That would be impossible, for I have no form or shape you understand. I could adopt a form or shape that you could understand, but then everyone would assume that what they have seen is the one and only form and shape of God, rather than a form or shape of God—one of many.
- You will not have that for which you ask, nor can you have anything you want. This is because your very request is a statement of lack, and your saying you want a thing only works to produce that precise experience—wanting—in your reality. The correct prayer is therefore never a prayer of supplication, but a prayer of gratitude.
- When you thank God in advance for that which you choose to experience in your reality, you, in effect, acknowledge that it is there…in effect. Thankfulness is thus the most powerful statement to God; an affirmation that even before you ask, I have answered. Therefore never supplicate. Appreciate.
- Every human thought, and every human action, is based in either love or fear. There is no other human motivation…
- To do this you must turn aside the teachings of your well-meaning, but misinformed, worldly tutors, and hear the teachings of those whose wisdom comes from another source. There are many such teachers among you, as always there have been, for I will not leave you without those who would show you, teach you, guide you, and remind you of these truths. Yet the greatest reminder is not anyone outside you, but the voice within you.
- The deepest secret is that life is not a process of discovery, but a process of creation. You are not discovering yourself, but creating yourself anew. Seek, therefore, not to find out Who You Are, seek to determine Who You Want to Be.
- This energy—this pure, unseen, unheard, unobserved, and therefore unknown-by-anyone-else energy—chose to experience Itself as the utter magnificence It was. In order to do this, It realized It would have to use a reference point within. It reasoned, quite correctly, that any portion of Itself would necessarily have to be less than the whole, and that if It thus simply divided Itself into portions, each portion, being less than the whole, could look back on the rest of Itself and see magnificence. And so All That Is divided Itself—becoming, in one glorious moment, that which is this, and that which is that. For the first time, this and that existed, quite apart from each other. And still, both existed simultaneously. As did all that was neither.
- There is only one reason to do anything: as a statement to the universe of Who You Are.
- If you wish to be accurately re-presented, you must work to change anything in your life which does not fit into the picture of you that you wish to project into eternity.
- Thus, you create collectively, and individually, the life and times you are experiencing, for the soul purpose of evolving.
- You’ve asked if there is a less painful way to undergo this process—and the answer is yes—yet nothing in your outward experience will have changed. The way to reduce the pain which you associate with earthly experiences and events—both yours and those of others—is to change the way you behold them. You cannot change the outer event (for that has been created by the lot of you, and you are not grown enough in your consciousness to alter individually that which has been created collectively)…
- Nothing is painful in and of itself. Pain is a result of wrong thought. It is an error in thinking. A Master can disappear the most grievous pain. In this way, the Master heals. Pain results from a judgment you have made about a thing. Remove the judgment and the pain disappears.
- Yet, bless all—for all is the creation of God, through life living, and that is the highest creation.
- All physical life functions in accordance with natural laws. Once you remember these laws, and apply them, you have mastered life at the physical level. What seems like punishment to you—or what you would call evil, or bad luck—is nothing more than a natural law asserting itself. Then if I were to know these laws, and obey them, I would never have a moment’s trouble again. Is that what you’re telling me? You would never experience your Self as being in what you call “trouble.” You would not understand any life situation to be a problem. You would not encounter any circumstance with trepidation.
- Begin by being still. Quiet the outer world, so that the inner world might bring you sight. This in-sight is what you seek, yet you cannot have it while you are so deeply concerned with your outer reality. Seek, therefore, to go within as much as possible. And when you are not going within, come from within as you deal with the outside world.
- For thousands of years people have disbelieved the promises of God for the most extraordinary reason: they were too good to be true. So you have chosen a lesser promise—a lesser love.
- But even Jesus healed the sick. Why would he heal them if their condition was so “perfect”? Jesus did not heal those he healed because he saw their condition as imperfect. He healed those he healed because he saw those souls asking for healing as part of their process.
- It is not appropriate to interfere with choice, nor to question it. It is particularly inappropriate to condemn it.
- What is appropriate is to observe it, and then to do whatever might be done to assist the soul in seeking and making a higher choice. Be watchful, therefore, of the choices of others, but not judgmental. Know that their choice is perfect for them in this moment now—yet stand ready to assist them should the moment come when they seek a newer choice, a different choice—a higher choice.
- Allow each soul to walk its path.
- The First Law is that you can be, do, and have whatever you can imagine. The Second Law is that you attract what you fear.
- Thought is pure energy. Every thought you have, have ever had, and ever will have is creative. The energy of your thought never ever dies. Ever. It leaves your being and heads out into the universe, extending forever. A thought is forever. All thoughts congeal; all thoughts meet other thoughts, crisscrossing in an incredible maze of energy, forming an ever-changing pattern of unspeakable beauty and unbelievable complexity.
- Masters are those who have chosen only love. In every instance. In every moment. In every circumstance. Even as they were being killed, they loved their murderers. Even as they were being persecuted, they loved their oppressors.
- Is it your thought that I despise some of these, while I love the others? I tell you, I despise nothing. None of it is repulsive to Me. It is life, and life is the gift; the unspeakable treasure; the holy of holies.
- Yet what kind of choice is free when to choose one thing over the other brings condemnation? How is “free will” free when it is not your will, but someone else’s, which must be done?
For more information on this best New Age book, see: