Best meditation book: Transcendental Meditation: The Essential Teachings of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi by Jack Forem
What this meditation book is about:
Transcendental Meditation discusses the benefits of the meditation practice popularized Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. They include the following:
- It lowers the metabolism, which slows down the aging process;
- It slows the heart rate and the breathing;
- It reduces stress more effectively than do other meditation techniques;
- It decreases blood lactate, indicating a reduction of anxiety and stress;
- It increases alpha and theta brain wave activity, spreading from the rear to the central and frontal areas of the brain;
- It evens out the brain activity, first by evening out the speed of the waves in both brain hemispheres, and second by evening out the total output of each side.
TM is distinct from all other types of meditation.
- It’s not contemplation;
- It’ not concentration;
- It’s not mindful awareness (thinking about the present moment);
- It’s not positive thinking.It is much easier than any of these—even effortless.The basis of the practice is the idea that the mind is not wandering aimlessly as we believe. What we sometimes call “monkey mind” is really our way of seeking out the most pleasant, good-feeling, problem-solving thought it can find. Thus, TM is used not to stop thinking, but instead to transcend thought.TM involves thinking a (nonsense) mantra. The technique itself must be taught person-to-person by a licensed teacher. Many people are able to transcend in their very first session—no long-term practice required.
For more information on this meditation book, see:
It’s Zen, only more practical.
Get The Naked House: Five Principles for a More Peaceful Home on Amazon.
More mystical reading choices: