Best Spirituality Book for Depression: Everything You Need to Know to Feel Go(o)d by Candace Pert
Everything You Need to Know to Feel Go(o)d is an in-depth discussion of the mind-body connection. Written by a well-known neuroscientist, it gives evidence that the mind and body are one.
Can this book help me overcome depression?
Does it address depression specifically? What does it say that can help?
The science, briefly: Every cell in the body is studded with receptors that receive signals that direct cell division, metabolism and every other cell activity. “Signal[s] come from other cells and [are] carried by juices . . . providing an infra for the ‘conversation’ going on throughout the bodymind. You know these juices as how neurotransmitters and together called peptides.” 98 percent of data transfer occurs through these, while only 2 percent occurs between cells.
Receptors and signals together are the “molecules of emotion”. There is a ligand for each individual emotion, each individual perception, each different kind of awareness, including bliss, hunger, satiety, anger, etc.
The ligand isn’t only active part of equation. Receptors wiggle and send vibrations to attract the proper ligand, like a lock and key coming together. These vibrations and constant responses form a continuous electrical current throughout your body.
Your body, then, is your subconscious mind. The molecules in the brain aren’t the cause of your emotions; they are your emotions.
Other notable quotes:
- Good and God are different words for the same thing.
- “Music can bypass the liquid and directly resonate those receptors, interacting like a peptide—or an emotion.” Drugs do the same thing.
- Words also powerful “thought pattern can be identified as networks of brain networks, but these networks only either goes a closed at any given moment, in order to open, must have networks w/ sensitive receptors and that fire together frequently.
- “Emotions are the flow of information perceived to be essential for the survival of any particular state of consciousness being observed.”
- We all have multiple personalities. Therefore, we do well to “train yourself to come from the highest possible ‘observer’—the subpersonality that’s most closely associated with the divine, or the higher self.” Practice this “you” through meditation or prayer.
- On dreams: during REM sleep, the peptide VIP is released. VIP ensures cell survival in the frontal cortex. “Is VIP nourishing neurons that are active during a dream, thus stabilizing the neural networks being formed at the time of dreams? If so, this could explain how dreams can literally become reality.” 50 percent of infant sleep is REM, as compared with 25 percent of adult sleep, because neural nets are forming at such a high rate. In one study, REM-deprived sleep study subjects began hallucinating and became psychotic.
- Also cites studies showing people can suggest to themselves what to dream about and what eye-movement patterns to make during REM sleep.
To what degree do you think it can help me overcome depression?
Depression effectiveness rating: 7.5 on a scale of 1-10
Where can I find it?
Diets don’t work? I disagree.
Find out how I lost my extra 20 pregnancy pounds–after all four of my pregnancies.
More Stuff to Read:
Some Spiritual Practices Actually Work. It’s Amazing.
There are hundreds of spiritual techniques for overcoming depression and increasing inner peace. Here, stories about the ones that actually work. In some posts, I rate the practices, too. Sort of like county fair pumpkins, but more spiritual.
There’s a Book for That, Too
It’s a great time to get suddenly awesome. So many teachers. So many books.
- Best Spiritual-But-Not-Religious Books for Overcoming Depression
- Books I Want My Kids to Read Someday
I’m a Partner, a Mom, a Friend, a Mom, a Sister, a Daughter, a Businessperson and a Mom. Here’s What Helps.
Don’t read this section. It’s nonsense, mostly.
- My Mostly Ridiculous Self-Improvement Journal
- 150 Life Hacks for Overcoming Depression
- Suddenly Awesome Miscellany (And, Let’s Be Real: Book Promos)