Best Spirituality Book for Depression: Lucid Dreaming: A Concise Guide to Awakening in Your Dreams and in Your Life by
A lucid dreaming classic, and an enjoyable read, too. Get it, skim it, try it out.
Lucid dreaming isn’t a far-fetched, “woo-woo” goal. It’s for everybody. It’s also a philosophically interesting subject that makes for top-notch party conversation.
Can this book help me overcome depression?
Does it address depression specifically? What does it say that can help?
No. Here are a few quotes I like:
- “In my view, dreams are much more accurately described as experiences—that is, conscious events one has personally encountered. It may seem odd to speak of dreams as conscious experiences, but the essential criterion for consciousness is reportability, and the fact that we can sometimes remember our dreams shows them to be conscious rather than unconscious mental processes. We live through our dreams as much as our waking lives. In these terms, dreaming is a particular organization of consciousness.”
- “Of course, that begs a question: what is consciousness? For me, it is the dream of what happens. Whether awake or asleep, your consciousness functions as a simplified model of yourself and your world constructed by your brain from the best available sources of information. during waking, the model is derived from external sensory input, which provides the most current information about present circumstances, in combination with internal contextual, historical, and motivational information. during sleep, little external input is available, and given a sufficiently functional brain, the model is constructed from internal biases.”
To what degree do you think it can help me overcome depression?
Depression effectiveness rating: 3 on a scale of 1-10
Where can I find it?
You’re not an overeater. You mostly keep it healthy. Maybe it’s time to give dieting a chance.
More Stuff to Read:
Some Spiritual Practices Actually Work. It’s Amazing.
There are hundreds of spiritual techniques for overcoming depression and increasing inner peace. Only one blog talks about whether or not they work. With ratings. (Take that, God.)
- My Favorite Spiritual Practices for Overcoming Depression
- Depression Success Stories and Spiritual Practice Success Stories
I Suspect Inner Peace Is Just a Myth. Here Are Interviews With People Who Disagree.
Some people are such show-offs. But that doesn’t mean they’re not worth listening to.
There’s a Book for That, Too
It’s a great time to get suddenly awesome. So many teachers. So many books.
- Best Spiritual-But-Not-Religious Books for Overcoming Depression
- Books I Want My Kids to Read Someday