It’s what we all want, but few of us get.
On a regular basis, anyway.
It’s called “flow,” and with his book (aptly titled Flow)writer/psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi (I think I spelled that right) has built a reputation on the concept.
Here’s the idea in a nutshell: We should try to create a sense of “flow”–a happy “in the zone” feeling–in our work. This will not only make work more enjoyable; it will make us more productive, too.
Work, in fact, will begin to feel like play.
But how do you do this? Here’s Mihaly’s “secret sauce,” so to speak:
1. Make your work more challenging. Work that requires skill is more fulfilling.
2. Absorb yourself completely in what you’re doing. Lose your self-consciousness, even.
3. Give yourself clear goals and get frequent feedback on your progress.
4. Have a sense of independence and control at work. (This is a great one, I think. Autonomy is a huge part of why I like working for myself.)
What do you think about these tips? Do you enjoy at least a couple of these “flow factors” at your work? I’d love to hear about it.
It’s spirituality for the rest of us.
Eckhart Tolle is awesome. So are Byron Katie and all those Buddhist monks we hear about. Why, then, doesn’t their advice immediately solve all our most pressing spiritual problems?
Why are their results so difficult to replicate?
More Stuff to Read:
Some Spiritual Practices Actually Work. It’s Amazing.
There are hundreds of spiritual techniques for overcoming depression and increasing inner peace. Here, stories about the ones that actually work. (In some posts, I rate the practices on a scale of 1-10, too. Sort of like county fair pumpkins, but more spiritual.)
These Are the Books I Want My Kids to Read Someday
Kids, here it is. Have at it.
- Spiritual-But-Not-Religious Books I Want My Kids to Read Someday
- All Books I Want My Kids to Read Someday
I’m a Partner, a Mom, a Friend, a Mom, a Sister, a Daughter, a Businessperson and a Mom. Here’s What Helps.
Don’t read this section. It’s nonsense, mostly.
- My Mostly Ridiculous Self-Improvement Journal
- 150 Life Hacks for Getting Suddenly Awesome
- Suddenly Awesome Miscellany (And, Let’s Be Real: Book Promos)